Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sawyer's rough day

Thursday, October 16Th, began as a nice, UEA break day. It was warm and sunny outside and since I was able to straighten up the house and get a couple loads of laundry done, I decided to give in to my kids' pleads to play outside. Logen helped me cut back the daisy bushes...me, with scissors and he, with his pocket knife. We even were able to pull some weeds out, too, by the time Sawyer found Logen's golf clubs and balls in the garage. Being the good big brother he is, Logen decided he needed to show Sawyer how a correct swing was done. I can't tell you how many times we have told Logen to make sure there is no one around before he swings a golf club, and why should now be the time for him to actually listen? Of course, he didn't and as I bent down to pick up some weeds, I heard Logen swing the club...and then heard a dull thud. I quickly turned around and saw/heard Sawyer on the ground screaming...about 2 feet away from Logen's horror struck face. Within seconds, Sawyers left cheek began to swell and ooze blood. I, of course, panicked and swooped Sawyer up and rushed him inside to examine him closer. It looked horrible! I was certain he had a broken cheek bone!
I would like to say that I calmly called Bob to see if he was available to come home and give me a second opinion of what to do, but I didn't... I called him in a full blown panic and demanded he get home as fast as he could!! (Good thing he works 5 minutes away). I tried to put ice on it...but Sawyer would have none of that, and I was trying to calm him down, not irritate him more. By the time Bob got home, I had calmed down a little and noticed Logen standing in the background with tears in his eyes. He is so tender hearted and I knew that he didn't mean to hurt his little brother. I told Logen that it was okay...I know he didn't mean to hurt Sawyer, but that he needs to remember to make sure no one is around when he swings. He nodded and moved a little closer and kept saying over and over "I'm sorry Sawyer!". Bob confirmed my decision to take Sawyer to the ER, although he couldn't go with me because he had a meeting to go to. I am so thankful to have my sisters live so close!! So, Tamie went with us to Alta View Hospital's ER. They x-rayed his cheek and checked him out and found out that he didn't break or crack anything...thank goodness! One child's surgery is more than enough...I don't think I could handle another one! As we were about to leave, the paramedic/fire men showed up with their fire engine and even let Sawyer sit in the driver's seat and honk the horn. If his poor little face hadn't been so swollen, he would have had a smile from ear to ear. With a couple of new stuffed animals (one from the hospital and one from the paramedics) and a fist full of suckers, we headed home. And by the time we got home, the IBprofin had kicked in and Sawyer was back to normal...well, almost. He couldn't talk very well with his swollen face or suck on his suckers very well. But that could have been from the big sore in his mouth he got 2 days earlier from, you guessed it...Logen, goofing off and shoving him, smacking his head/face into the bedroom door frame. I swear, Logen tries so hard, but trouble and accidents always seem to find him! Don't get me wrong, Logen is a wonderful kid with a big heart, and I love him dearly... but sometimes I think he's cursed or something! Anyway, Sawyer is doing much better now! I'm sure it won't be long before another accident comes...not counting the bike crash he had yesterday. I do love my boys to pieces and am grateful nothing more serious happened!!

No comments: